In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(freedom from constraint)I never feel at ease with her — con ella nunca siento que me puedo relajar / nunca me siento a mis anchas
- I feel more at ease in casual clothes — me siento más cómodo / más a gusto vestido de sport
- he knows how to put interviewees at their ease — sabe hacer relajar al entrevistado
- to put/set sb's mind at ease — tranquilizar a algn
1.2(stand) at ease! — ¡en descanso!
2(leisure)he was used to a life of ease — estaba acostumbrado a la buena vida / a una vida desahogada
- to take one's ease — reposar
3(facility)facilidad feminineease of operation/reference — facilidad de manejo/consulta
- for ease of access — para facilitar el acceso
- with ease — con facilidad
- the graceful ease with which he moved — la gracia y soltura con que se movía
2(pain) calmar(pain) aliviar(tension) hacer disminuir(tension) aliviar(burden) aligerarto ease sb's mind — tranquilizar a algn
- he did it to ease his conscience — lo hizo para descargarse la conciencia
- they eased me of a couple of hundred dollars — me aligeraron de unos doscientos dólares
3(situation) paliar(situation) mejorar(transition) facilitara bridge would ease the traffic flow — un puente descongestionaría / haría más fluida la circulación del tráfico
- to ease the way for sb — allanarle el camino a algn
6(move with care)they eased him into the wheelchair — lo sentaron con cuidado en la silla de ruedas
- he eased on his jacket — se puso la chaqueta con cuidado
1(pain) aliviarse(pain) calmarse(tension) disminuir(tension) decrecer
2(interest rate/prices) disminuir(interest rate/prices) bajar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.