In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Pascua (de Resurrección) femininethe Easter vacation — las vacaciones de Semana Santa
- Easter week — Semana Santa
- We celebrated Easter, and I was in charge of distributing the gifts Mama had made.
- The date of the spring equinox determines the date of Easter so the church began to press for reform.
- May the peace we can all know in Christ be yours this Easter and may the feet of God always walk with you.
- He also believes that the glorious festival of Easter declares the joyful truth.
- Two Easters are celebrated in Lebanon (both in late March or early April) - the Greek Orthodox date, and the date for the rest of the Christian population.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.