In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(el) lunes de Pascua
- It will be Easter Monday, a public holiday and I'm not going to work, so I have to come up with something.
- The jury was told he arrived unannounced in Rowan Avenue in the evening of Easter Monday, after going to the house the previous day when the couple were out.
- Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, and Boxing Day are not statutory holidays.
- Another service will take place at the cross in Otley Market Place at 3pm on Easter Monday.
- Who will ever forget that magnificent Easter Monday 2001 in Croke Park?
- As Easter Sunday and Easter Monday approached there was an air of excitement as the favourite past-time could resume.
- The rave had been due to continue on Easter Monday but police pressure forced it to end on the Sunday.
- Last Easter Monday the couple returned to England where a short while later Mrs Kelly became ill.
- The only four days when they would not be in use would be Christmas and Boxing days, Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- A big chunk of our Easter Monday was spent in a queue in Anstruther.
- It was an historic Easter Monday for punters and unionists alike.
- The massive fire started on the old tannery's top floor shortly after 6pm on Easter Monday, during the school holidays.
- Having been flung to the wolves by the Ibrox set, he is quite ready to continue his resurrection at Molineux this Easter Monday.
- Members of the public can see the boat launched on Easter Monday between noon and 2.00 pm.
- Spring is a great time of year, what with Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day… hardly a week goes by without a day off work.
- On Easter Monday, April 21, the Ramblers will meet at Bonniconlon Church at 12 noon.
- On Easter Monday they had Clonad as visitors for a league game.
- On Easter Monday, Michael will be aiming to keep a clean sheet against his dad's old team in the Division One game of the season at Molineux.
- Local rivals Bamber Bridge will provide the opposition on Boxing Day and Easter Monday.
- It's called ‘pomlazka’ and it happens in the forgotten lands of central Europe, every Easter Monday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.