In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Downton, Churches Together staged a march of witness through the village, ending up at the Baptist Church for an ecumenical service.
- The WCC is an ecumenical body which represents 337 Protestant churches.
- It's a really friendly ecumenical church with about equal numbers of students and ‘normal’ people!
- Nigeria, Ukraine, New Zealand and Germany were among the countries represented by an ecumenical group who stayed in the centre for the New Year.
- Most of the Reformed churches would accept the teachings of the ecumenical councils of the first millennium.
- But the faith of the Church is that when the Church meets in an ecumenical council, it is doing so under the guidance of the Spirit.
- The exchange is open to anybody and participants will visit a milk factory, attend an official dinner dance and an ecumenical church service.
- The Queen marked her Golden Jubilee yesterday with the first-ever ecumenical church service at St George's Chapel, Windsor.
- Basic texts for the liturgy were translated by ecumenical committees for use in the various churches.
- I spent 1978 in Liberia learning firsthand about the ecumenical church of Jesus Christ.
- It was the first ecumenical meeting on poverty that helped to lay down the groundwork for future church coalitions.
- Since 1975 the material for the week has been prepared by ecumenical groups in different countries.
- It was part of an ecumenical Christian conference on the Palestinian issue in late February.
- It is an ecumenical project involving different local churches.
- He called the first ecumenical church council in 325 to make doctrine uniform throughout the empire.
- Now it is necessary to call for a broad-based ecumenical council addressing the issue of sexual misconduct in the church.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.