In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1borde masculinea steel edging — un borde de acero
- the collar had an edging of lace/ribbon — el cuello tenía puntilla alrededor/estaba ribeteado con una cinta
- It is medium and low-growing hedges and edgings that are underused; they can have enormous value in even the smallest gardens.
- Mud and oil in considerable quantity is being dragged onto the new road by boats and tractors and the road edgings are rapidly being destroyed.
- She will remember the way she feels (her eyes hurt, from staring at lace edgings all day, and she wants to stretch, to sleep, to get some dinner).
- The juvenile has bold, black edgings on its wings and the nape of its neck, and a black bill.
- Vanessa said the edgings were banned because all stonework in the cemetery had to be installed by an approved stonemason, which meant it was covered by insurance.
- Pansies are fabulous for containers, edgings, borders, windowsill pots, or planted in masses of brilliant colors.
- ‘We have a parlor,’ she said imperiously, straightening the lace edgings on the pillow.
- Go stand in a shoe shop and watch women fight over the final pair of suede boots with the kitten heel and tasseled edgings around the top that have been reduced to sell.
- The edging for these borders should be selected carefully, not too high to be obstructive, not too low to be a waste of time and absolutely no sharp edges.
- They're particularly suitable for small beds, border edgings, even containers.
- As its name depicts, these carnations are very showy when planted as part of a mixed flower border or as colorful edgings against evergreen shrubs.
- They make handsome edgings for flower beds and herb gardens, and are equally at home as rock garden plants, in window boxes, in patio containers, or cascading from strawberry pots.
- It was now time to permanently attach the plastic edging to the case sleeves using an epoxy adhesive.
- In your garden supply store, you will find many manufactured edgings to suite any style of garden.
- They swooped down and circled around her, wrapping themselves in her curls and playing with the lace edging of her dress.
- Small, compact types are excellent edgings along walkways or in narrow beds; they also look good in containers.
- Miniature roses are surprisingly easy to grow, and they look great as edgings for your beds or borders, accent plants for rock gardens, and as houseplants.
- First-year males look like mature males but with rusty edgings on their black feathers.
- The router is used to cut contours in wood for edgings and moldings or for more complex relief panels and inlay work, dovetails, and mortises.
- It was large - approximately a quarter of an acre section, featuring a large kidney shaped in-ground pool as a center piece - and all the edgings were beautiful floral montages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.