In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A controversial plan to demolish an Edwardian house and replace it with flats has been approved by Bradford Council, despite a flood of objections from residents.
- Elizabeth's Edwardian childhood was privileged and secure, a world dominated by nurserymaids and governesses, but two dates had fixed points in the firmament of her life.
- Most of the poems and stories Bloom selects are from the Romantic, Victorian, and Edwardian eras.
- The appearance of barbed wire, machine guns and trenches on the battlefields of the Boer War had made several Edwardian thinkers aware of the case for some sort of armoured land ship.
- During the late-Victorian and Edwardian era British clerks were under considerable strain to construct a positive masculine identity and experience.
- Decorative tile manufacture reached its peak during the Victorian and Edwardian eras.
- I once interviewed UK antiques expert Mark Franks, who is collecting cigarette cases and Edwardian desks to pay for his retirement.
- Instead, the investigator turned out to be a grave young man attired in a three-piece suit with Edwardian collar and gold watch fob.
- The York racecourse committee has also loaned Imagine York some excellent pictures of Edwardian racegoers enjoying a day out at Knavesmire.
- As for the new and currently practising writers of Edwardian times, those of the first decade of the century were distinguished for their prose rather than their prosody.
- Angry East Sheen residents determined to prevent the demolition of an Edwardian house were left reeling this week after amendments were made to a planning application on the site.
- There'll be an afternoon festival of local music in the Edwardian setting of Bantock House and Park, Wolverhampton.
- Most people's concept of an ideal house still has much more to do with Edwardian design standards than environmental concerns.
- Charleville Square is a modern development of Edwardian style houses off Butterfield Avenue in Rathfarnham, around four miles from the city centre.
- Built in 1910, this Edwardian house has been completely restored in recent years by its present owners and retains numerous original features.
- All have been individually decorated in a tasteful, graceful Georgian and Edwardian style - an atmosphere enhanced by the decanter of sherry waiting for you on arrival.
- The use of toys and tricks characteristic of an Edwardian nursery is another of many contributory strokes of imaginative genius; they not only fit the story perfectly, but double the potency of its telling.
- He was susceptible to her cosiness, appreciated her sense of humour and shared her weakness for the company of artists and Edwardian comfort.
- Victorian and Edwardian influences abound on today's estates, which are full of brick-built homes with bay windows under pitched roofs.
- The controversy has attracted the interest of the Victorian Society which seeks to preserve Victorian and Edwardian architecture.
1eduardiano masculineeduardiana feminine
- In writing about the Edwardians, he eschews the conventional attitude which sees the 20th-century 'noughties' as a period of languorous weekends on the estates of the bloated plutocrats with whom Edward VII surrounded himself.
- These are some of the questions that exercise historians: they also exercised the Edwardians.
- I was a penniless student trying to tour the Greek mainland with the help of Pausanias, a Roman travel writer who lived nearly 2,000 years ago and was to Imperial Rome what Baedecker was to the Edwardians.
- The Edwardians were no slackers when it came to enjoyment and in their heyday the grand Bohemian resorts of Marienbad and Carlsbad read like a roll call of honour for the great and glorious of the day.
- The Edwardians turned out for some curious entertainments.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.