In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1anguila feminineas slippery as an eel — escurridizo como una anguila
- Most of the intriguing species were examined only in death; dragged in by fishermen's nets, such as the giant spider crab, sharks, scorpion fish and snake eels.
- Paul contacted the Environment Agency and Yorkshire Water, which are now investigating the cause of the deaths of a number of fish including pike, eels and roach.
- Many species feed on elongated fish, such as eels, which they paralyze with their venom.
- There are also rudd, bream, eels, gudgeon, crucian carp, tench, minnows, perch, sticklebacks, the odd trout, pike and barbel present.
- Cut the eel, monkfish, haddock or whatever into large chunks, much longer and fatter than you could eat in one go.
- Towards the centre of the pier pipefish, mussels galore, conger and common eels, ballan wrasse and cuttlefish lurked.
- To this small band of anglers, the eel is a mysterious fish worthy of time and dedication.
- It's basically something which looks like it has the head of a horse and the body of an eel.
- The earliest ichthyosaurs had long, flexible bodies and probably swam by undulating, like living eels.
- This shark feeds primarily on bony fishes such as parrot, trigger, squirrel, surgeon, damsel and goat fishes as well as eels.
- Conger eels are extremely common in the UK, quick to colonise wrecks, boulder reefs and rough ground.
- The American eel and the Japanese eel face similar fates.
- Fishing for glass eel could also continue if these eels are used for restocking rivers but not used for aquaculture.
- Bottlenose dolphins feed on squid, shrimp, eels and a wide variety of fish.
- If you hook the eel further back, the body of the eel will fold up along the shank of the hook causing it to spin and you can do without that hassle.
- Rough fish comprise the American eel, black sucker, dogfish, gar, lamprey eel, redhorse, sheephead, and white sucker.
- Conger eels are difficult to confuse with other species of fish.
- Any form of fish bait produced either eels or pike.
- Among these clades are such diverse forms as arawanas, knifefishes, mormyrids, eels, tarpon, and herring.
- Conger eels, some as long as my father's leg, were hard to deal with but good to eat - we tried to smoke them by sticking them up the chimney and burning pine driftwood underneath.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.