In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine vertidosfeminine aguas residualesradioactive effluent — vertidos radioactivos
- Late this season several thousand juvenile salmon died on an upper stretch of the Moy as a result of a discharge of effluent.
- Most rivers - or what's left of them - are foul reservoirs of industrial effluents and sewage.
- If the farm allows effluent into the river, then the fishery suffers due to increased costs of water purification.
- The effluent contains a variety of industrial wastes but no estimate of their pollutional load is available.
- We are well aware that to discharge untreated effluent into a water course is illegal and unacceptable.
- Pollution of water bodies by industrial effluents and civic waste is a crime on humanity and can no longer be ignored by the enforcing authorities.
- Something similar happened when pig-farm effluent got into a river in Carolina in the US.
- Treated effluent is still discharged into Maguires Creek, the Richmond River and the Pacific Ocean.
- If effluent enters the river, bacteria use this food to multiply.
- But we can't go on trying to deal with effluent and waste and toxins without putting in resources.
- The agency said there were high levels of nutrients, particularly phosphate and nitrate, which entered the river through sewage effluents and agricultural activities.
- However, there were occasions when because of the poor quality industrial effluents being discharged into the river the water could carry no oxygen and it was impossible for fish to survive.
- There were also 61 oil spills and 54 leaks of minerals and trade effluent.
- It emerged last night that chemically treated human effluent was discharged at the site yesterday afternoon.
- Farmers are now aware that silage effluent is highly polluting.
- This dumping of industrial effluents into the rivers will affect the general health of livestock and human beings dependant on water from these rivers.
- Typical point sources of water pollution are manufacturing effluent and municipal waste.
- He said that the company, which admitted one count of discharging effluent, took environmental issues seriously.
- The indiscriminate dumping of industrial effluents and civic waste, in combination with falling water levels have taken their toll.
- Ground water is polluted by industrial effluent and human waste.
(stream flowing from lake)
arroyo que desagua un lago
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.