In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As it is, Martin is a dreadful bore - arrogant, self-important and so egocentric it's a wonder he had time to obsess about anyone other than himself.
- Eddie is a nice guy, so we can't imagine why he is so devoted to Gwen, a vain and egocentric diva.
- She can tell that he is still the shallow, egocentric man she once worked for.
- First, it was a good thing that the negotiation process was led by a pair of egocentric men whose machismo instincts somehow consistently outweighed common courtesy, common dignity and common sense.
- In contrast, the most destructive thing in our lives, the perpetual experience of great suffering, is brought about by our own egocentric clinging to selfish and insatiable pursuits.
- Aristocratic characters were generally portrayed as egocentric individuals with loose morals and a tendency to treat women either as sex objects or as a means of exchange.
- In comparison, I think he felt these poems were too egocentric.
- Maybe that's an egocentric position, but I'm not one of those community above everything individuals - I also care about myself.
- Sociopaths are very egocentric individuals that lack a sense of personal responsibility and morality.
- Somebody who has a narcissistic personality disorder would be so extremely egocentric that other people would find it very difficult to tolerate being with them.
- For instance, drug-using mothers have been characterized as egocentric with a narcissistic orientation toward their children.
- Avoid egocentric tendencies to demand too much personal attention.
- As a consequence, this prevalence of mass marketing and consumerism has led to a selfish, egocentric culture where one's own apparent needs and desires come first at the exclusion of the needs of others.
- Are we all egocentric, narcissistic online exhibitionists who believe our lives are so important that they deserve to be publicised?
- You're being a little egocentric, don't you think?
- ‘Ian's just a little egocentric sometimes,’ Gavin replied.
- He paints the characters as shallow, egocentric individuals who exist primarily to have a good time.
- This makes sense, given the egocentric and selfish nature of these crimes, compared to those of political activists, who often have ideological motivations.
- He had always seemed blasé and perhaps a bit egocentric.
- I don't want to sound self centered of egocentric, but I was the reason he was happy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.