- They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.
- Primary predators for these eiders were large gulls, and occasionally evidence of mammalian predation was found.
- Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.