In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.
- Primary predators for these eiders were large gulls, and occasionally evidence of mammalian predation was found.
- Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.