In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(eight times as much or as many)there was an eightfold increase in expenditure — los gastos se multiplicaron por ocho
- computer models show an eightfold reduction in carbon emissions — los modelos informáticos muestran una reducción de las emisiones de carbono a la octava parte
- As a result of these and other factors, the number of single-parent families in the United States has increased nearly eightfold since 1950.
- In his eight years as chief executive the company grew by 40 percent with services and consulting leading the growth, while its stock value increased eightfold.
- Capacity rose eightfold, from 4,000 to 32,000 tons.
- A British epidemiologist cites an eightfold increase in maternal death following elective cesarean section above the death rate associated with normal birth.
- During the first half, the operating profit of the Spirits and Wine division outside Europe increased nearly eightfold.
- Last year there were 1,200, that's an eightfold increase.
- The proliferation of diagnoses has contributed to a dramatic rise in antidepressant sales, which increased eightfold between 1990 and 2000.
- The comparison of these drivers with drivers who identified themselves as alert or relaxed, which is most relevant to usual driving, resulted in an eightfold increase in risk.
- ‘We have invested significant funds in research and development and sales have increased eightfold since our first round of investment in 2000,’ Beggs said.
- Launched in 1999 by a team of experienced toy executives, it has established itself as the fastest-growing UK toy company, increasing its turnover eightfold in just four years of trading.
- Annual funding allocated by the Transport and Communications Ministry for development had increased eightfold.
- That figure allowed him to increase the number of users from one to three, but it's still an eightfold increase in his annual payment, which is always required up front.
- In this configuration, the maximum throughput for the database drives showed an eightfold speed increase over the old hardware.
- There has been a significant increase in drug related deaths in England and Wales over the last twenty years with an eightfold increase in drug-related deaths between 1980 and 1998.
- He is demonstrating the skills to turn this large chunk of humanity into paying customers, boosting the customer count eightfold, from 375,000 when he arrived two years ago.
- In addition, one study reported an eightfold increase in a medication-resistant food-poisoning bacteria after the antibiotic was approved to be used in chickens.
- Users of oral contraceptives had an approximately eightfold increase in the risk of stroke compared with those not using these agents.
- In Manchester, the use of video evidence in courtrooms has increased eightfold since early last year.
- The death rate from alcoholic liver disease has increased eightfold in the 35-44 age group since the 1970s.
- For every 50 percent decrease in the droplet diameter of a set volume of insecticide, the spray surface area is increased eightfold.
- In this group the rates have increased eightfold in men and almost sevenfold in women since the 1970s.
- Over the past 10 years, the number of British visas given to Russians has increased eightfold.
- In the late seventeenth century, the average number of copper coins minted annually was of the order of two to three hundred million; by the early nineteenth century this had increased eightfold.
- For example, when an animal doubles its linear dimensions, its volume increases eightfold.
- While French domestic exports to Europe tripled, their colonial re-exports increased eightfold.
- British trade with Turkey increased eightfold between 1830 and 1850.
- Last year, an Environmental Science and Research report warned that the number of New Zealanders dying from infectious diseases increased almost eightfold between 1988 and 2000.
- Escalating financial demands by the company's mainland partner scotched the deal when the price to maintain the relationship quickly went up eightfold despite earlier agreements.
- You and I know that an eightfold increase is hardly a cut, but that's not how it would play in Washington.
2(having eight parts)our reasons for this decision are eightfold — hay ocho razones detrás de nuestra decisión
1(by eight times as much or as many)expenditure increased eightfold — los gastos se multiplicaron por ocho
- emissions fell eightfold — las emisiones bajaron a la octava parte
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.