In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mayorde edadancianoan elderly lady — una anciana
- many of the residents are elderly — muchos de los residentes son mayores / ancianos / de edad
- It was used on Saturday and Monday and the card users were described as three elderly people.
- The article states that there are plans to cut travel passes for elderly people.
- Police are hunting for a gang of burglars who are targeting elderly people in west Wiltshire.
- It also has a night centre where elderly people with dementia can be cared for.
- The dogs were bred as guide dogs for elderly people who suffered from allergies.
- If you have an elderly neighbour or relative, look out for them in the winter months.
- Two historic almshouses have been put up for sale as they are no longer suitable for elderly people.
- Looking at this situation there is a real risk to elderly people and their welfare must be a priority.
- The scheme is aimed at getting elderly people out of their homes and into a social environment.
- The surrounding houses and flats are occupied by elderly people and young families.
- It would exclude blood relatives such as an elderly brother and sister living together.
- Bogus callers are using a new scam to trick their way into the homes of elderly people in Chelmsford.
- To abandon elderly people for weeks on end in a hospital bed they no longer need strips them of dignity.
- In addition, an increased number of elderly people would like to remain in their own homes.
- One urgent aspect the committee needs to look at is access for disabled and elderly people.
- Quite frankly, it disgusts me and I do not feel enough is done for elderly people.
- It was being driven by an elderly lady with grey hair and had a female passenger with long, dark hair.
- Running post offices for the benefit of elderly people is not cost effective, so go they must.
- This could lead to more elderly people being forced to stay in emergency beds, with nowhere to go.
- Police are now warning other elderly people in Blackley to be on their guard against the crooks.
1the elderly — los ancianos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.