In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many hope that the majority of the electorate votes for more than a pretty face.
- It's also difficult for alternative candidates to persuade the electorate to vote for them.
- Chonde also appealed to the electorate to vote for credible candidates in this year's elections.
- The problem is that still leaves 22% of the French electorate voting for a racist.
- In early 1991, more than 90 per cent of the entire electorate voted to retain a union with Russia.
- Lam refused to estimate the number of electorate votes he could count on.
- Whoever wins government will have to depend on the support of independents, many of whom will have been elected with as little as 10 to 20 percent of the vote in their electorates.
- We are more concerned in asking why 66 percent of the electorate did not vote.
- The votes of foreign electorates are not events in our democracy.
- The referendum result in Kirklees saw only 38,232 votes cast from an electorate of nearly 300,000.
- If the majority of the electorate vote no to the proposed amendment, this situation will remain unchanged.
- Firstly, only one in five of the electorate had voted Labour.
- But the rules changed and the electorate was entitled to vote by post without giving a reason.
- Concentrated in working class electorates, the vote expressed the widespread anger and disgust that had built up against Labor's pro-market, anti-working class policies.
- Although percentage of vote against electorate increased this year to 42, it was still low.
- In 1979 some 61 percent of the entire potential electorate voted for either the Labour or the Tory party.
- Mr Trimble claimed the electorate had voted for political stalemate in last week's election.
- In some parts of the county this figure was lower still, with seven out of 10 of the electorate opting not to vote.
- Yes, 70 percent of the electorate voted for a better life for all, including name changes.
- In some parts of the country this figure was lower still, with seven out of ten of the electorate opting not to vote.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.