In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(current/motor/shaver) eléctrico(fence) electrificado(piano/guitar) eléctricois the heating gas or electric? — ¿la calefacción es eléctrica o a gas?
- electric bill — recibo de (la) luz
- electric circuit — circuito eléctrico
- electric kettle — hervidor (de agua) eléctrico
- it has electric windows — tiene elevalunas eléctrico
- The song's detailed arrangement is fleshed out by electric piano, aquatic guitar lines, and exotic percussion.
- We experience movement of charge in the electric current in wires.
- Wires are placed on the scalp and the arms or legs are stimulated with a mild electric current.
- In this process, acupuncture needles are placed at selected points and then pulsed with an electric current to stimulate the acupuncture points.
- The gravitomagnetic field is created by moving masses, much as magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges.
- In fact, each ‘window’ is an array of photovoltaic cells that generate electric current when exposed to the light.
- The boundaries between grains act like barriers to electric charge carriers, impeding the flow of current.
- I looked up from where I sat and saw the main electric switch, connecting the house to the outside lines.
- We can power the fuel cell using renewable energies to generate hydrogen, and then convert it into electricity to charge the electric car.
- The electric currents passing through the copper tubing in the accelerator produce vast amounts of heat.
- These charges include electric traction current and station-leasing charges.
- This stripped-down affair featured singer Kelly Jones on acoustic guitar, accompanied by piano, muted electric guitar and electric bass.
- But it's important to remember that electric guitars and electric pianos were new at the time, and there were new recording techniques.
- The film measures the compression force, which is seen in the form of the electric charge of opposite surfaces.
- Liquid crystals are rod shaped molecules that bend light in response to an electric current; the crystals align so that no light can pass through.
- The higher the value is the more electric charge can be stored, thereby indicating that a substance is superior as a condenser material.
- If the distribution of moving electric charge is not symmetric, the magnetic field will also be unsymmetric.
- A standard electric bass guitar covers over three octaves.
- In yet another room was a small piece consisting of two electric fans with their blades replaced by rods with twists of leaves at the end.
- These specifications will allow smooth interface between different systems using electric power lines for audio, video and data networking.
- Becalmed sounds of electric piano, bass, acoustic guitars, and soft trumpet tones appear at a tempo that's so relaxed it's almost asleep.
- A first naive picture of an electron - this is not an accurate picture but it's a start - is as a tiny ball with electric charge - which is what flows when a current flows in a wire.
- X-ray flares bombard these disks, likely giving them an electric charge.
- The Ministry of Electricity is implementing measures to stabilize the oscillation of electric current in its power lines.
- Yet for this and any other electronics application, the materials must also be able to carry an electric current.
2(performance/personality) electrizantethe atmosphere was electric — el ambiente era electrizante / estaba cargado de electricidad
- Mark McColl, at 18, thrilled with electric bursts of pace.
- In the end, however, it's simply the electric thrill of the music itself that makes this release so essential.
- The excitement at this game was electric as the spectators shouted and screamed for the young players.
- The man who thrilled millions with his devastating body serve, electric change of pace and his supreme skill died last Friday.
- The excitement was electric on that sunny evening as the students of Gallagher House got their spin in the 18 seater bus.
- By now the atmosphere was electric and the screams of excitement from the fans almost deafening.
- As she leaned back he shifted again, maybe only to get more comfortable, but his knee brushed hers and she felt an electric thrill course through her.
- My heart suffered a sudden electric jolt when I realized who had spoken.
- With their unruly instincts and their tingling, uncharted senses, they have an electric effect.
- The excitement was almost electric as Claude withdrew a beautiful antique pocket watch from his coat.
- Through the confusion I felt an electric elation, a sense of the force of life moving swiftly along my entire person.
- As the queue grew by the buckets the excitement in the carpark was electric with eager fans ranging from two years all the way up to 70.
- The atmosphere has been electric and obviously everyone is excited.
- The air was electric - the older generation bursting with excitement with what was going to happen next, and the younger ones bursting with curiosity abut what that something was.
- Closest to the camera, one young man turns toward another with an electric sense of movement, seemingly oblivious to Lawton's presence.
- I'm now under a dense canopy of bush and the air is suddenly electric with the pulsing of cicadas.
- The love in the air was electric and both, even the one whose senses had ceased five years ago, could feel it.
- His hands found my throat and his thumbs stroked it in smooth, tantalizing lines that sent electric thrills through my body.
- The air was electric as the sell-out crowd waited in excited anticipation to hear the 64-year-old Spaniard sing favourites from Verdi and Wagner.
- The atmosphere on the ship was electric, and that moment gave me a great sense of pride and humility.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.