In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1silla eléctrica feminine
- Spivey's lawyers had argued that Georgia's use of the electric chair for executions constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.
- The legislature also passed a bill that would allow condemned death row inmates to choose between lethal injection and the electric chair for their executions.
- If you kill me, and you're caught, you will go to jail for life or to the electric chair.
- As the executioner struggles to find it in himself to carry out the execution, the prisoner, John, seated on the electric chair, turns to comfort him.
- And his family tried to get him treatment, and his attorneys tried to get him life, rather than the electric chair.
- He was convicted in 1974 and sentenced to die in the electric chair for the 1972 beating to death of a transit worker.
- Opinion was running hot and heavy, and gibbets, nooses, electric chairs and lethal injections were topics featuring prominently.
- As the film opens, Robinson is about to be executed in the electric chair.
- Facing the electric chair, they were sentenced to three life terms for the murders.
- The electric chair is one of the most widely known forms of Capital Punishment along with lethal injection.
- The first electric chair execution took place in New York.
- I climbed into the front seat with all the enthusiasm of a condemned criminal getting into the electric chair.
- He put something on her head that made the chair look like an electric chair.
- He was executed in the electric chair on January 24, 1989, having obtained two stays of execution.
- He was then tried, convicted and executed in the electric chair.
- It can deliver 100 million volts of electricity, enough juice to power 50,000 electric chairs on execution night.
- The electric chair was introduced in the United States in 1890 as a more humane form of execution.
- After losing his third appeal, he was executed in the electric chair.
- As a result of this investigation, I was able to get a man who'd been sentenced to die in the Texas electric chair out of prison.
- He had various privileges in gaol, and a year later he went to the electric chair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.