In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1elefante marino masculine
- It's home to the threatened southern elephant seal, the fur seal, two species of albatross and several species of, yes, penguin.
- The northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris, is known as the deepest continually diving phocid seal.
- A male southern elephant seal, like the juvenile in the foreground here, is unmistakable, with an inflatable nose and four tons of flesh.
- To a lesser extent harbor seals are eaten, and we suspect on at least one occasion the birds found and fed upon a dead elephant seal.
- However, the overall allelic diversity of the Mediterranean monk seal, together with that of the Hawaiian monk seal and that of the northern elephant seal, is among the lowest recorded.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.