In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(candidate/applicant) que reúne los requisitos necesariosto be eligible for sth
- eligible to + inf
- he's eligible for a grant — tiene derecho a solicitar una beca
- retired employees remain eligible for … — los empleados jubilados siguen teniendo derecho a …
- he's now legally eligible for US citizenship — ahora cumple con / reúne los requisitos legales para solicitar la ciudadanía americana
- you will become eligible to join the club on reaching the age of 18 — al cumplir 18 años podrás hacerte socio del club
- employees are not eligible to enter the competition — los empleados no pueden participar en el concurso
- This is subject to winners being eligible for race competition licences.
- To be eligible for this, they must be qualified for at least three years.
- A major draw will take place next month and anyone who joins in June will be eligible for all prizes.
- Walsh will be eligible for the Canadian Football League draft coming up this April.
- Those eligible for silver or gold pins are asked to contact a committee member.
- The family is poor and were eligible for free health care from the government.
- Wonderful for one so young, Noel will be eligible for that championship for two more years.
- Four or five cardinals who are eligible for the candidacy of pope could openly campaign.
- It is a facility where they keep the detainees who've been designated as eligible for trial.
- Please return all club cards if you want to be eligible for a prize.
- Mr Butler becomes eligible for the payout as soon as he vacates Government House.
- There are two conditions that must be met in order to be eligible for these new measures.
- Also, the company's restricted list of cases eligible for compensation has been abolished.
- Those with prior travel on public affairs passports are not eligible for this programme.
- The list of films eligible for next year's Best Animated Feature Film Oscar has been announced.
- Those who have a legal case that are eligible for legal help or full legal aid will be provided with further free legal support.
- Release dates are crucial as films out this year become eligible for the 2002 Academy Awards.
- Families buying either existing private homes or newly built properties will be eligible for the scheme.
- Frequently attending patients with five or more somatisation symptoms were eligible for the study.
- After six months of being monitored, the group becomes eligible for a bank loan.
- Last year's most eligible man had to bow out because he's all loved up now.
- In today's society you have the situation where there are fewer and fewer eligible men and more women so what is a woman to do?
- We have plenty of eligible bachelors in these parts and quite a few eligible ladies too!
- Prince William managed to stand one of the world's most eligible women up last week when he got tied up foxhunting.
- Various eligible boys in the village were introduced to her - she showed no interest in any of them.
- Last month this magazine presented a list of Scotland's 100 most eligible women and men.
- Hugh Grant is currently linked to Jemima Khan, who tops the list of the most eligible females.
2(suitable)idóneoan eligible bachelor — un buen partido
- Hollywood's most eligible bachelor — el soltero más cotizado de Hollywood
- to be eligible for sth
- she's eminently eligible for promotion — es firme candidata a un ascenso
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.