In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The spirit of American democracy is opposed to elitism.
- An emphasis on social context has long been looked to as an alternative to the elitism and limited scope of Greenbergian formalism.
- A new social system starts, and seems delightfully free of the elitism and cliquishness of the existing systems.
- This was an elitism based not on the traditional values of the British ruling class, but on the new global super-rich who are close to the Labour government, and who have made their base in London with its sympathetic tax laws.
- The majority of contemporary U.S. political and social theorists are like the majority of American citizens, preferring democratic or republican theories to elitism or divine right.
- Higher education shed the German tradition of elitism and became egalitarian.
- But the elitism and the populism in this claim are less far apart than they might seem.
- The author's cynicism is ultimately rooted in a common confusion, a false conflict between democracy and elitism, one that forgets the ways in which these two human ideals actually depend on one another.
- It is also expected to speed up the reform of a judiciary that is dominated by elitism and conservatism.
- There is a real worry in the profession that this registration will create an elitism between different sides of the social work profession - those who have qualifications and can be registered, or can afford it, and those who do not.
- Others accused the group of promoting corporate hegemony, one-world government, or elitism.
- Paradise builds on West's critique, exploring colorism, elitism, and patriarchy as structures that compose the black bourgeois ideal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.