In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Indeed, Elizabethan remedies against private fraud continued to operate through the first third of the eighteenth century.
- Such sententiousness was much to Elizabethan taste.
- It is repeatedly referred to in Elizabethan drama, and influenced the policy of Thomas Cromwell, Cecil, and Leicester.
- The actors in Julius Caesar wear a mixture of Elizabethan dress with ancient Roman embellishments added, as was more or less the way it was done in Shakespeare's day.
- In other respects, however, the Union was far from being the unqualified blessing which Elizabethan apologists implied.
- These days the field has broadened to include the niceties of life at Elizabethan court or Georgian cricketers in frills and breeches who invent the rules as they go along.
- These books together give a comprehensive picture of Elizabethan sea power.
- Individual dressing rooms were not a feature of Elizabethan playhouses, so actors were to dress in whatever open space they could find.
- Kirby was again attired in the Elizabethan costume from dress rehearsal.
- He imagined the characters of Julius Caesar wearing Elizabethan dress, and equipped ancient Rome with a medieval invention - the mechanical clock.
- Late Renaissance and Elizabethan writers also found Vergil a good source of inspiration.
- It's not a disaster, but I can't imagine it having much appeal to anyone besides fans of Elizabethan drama.
- After that, I'd written Tudor England, which led me to consider Elizabethan politics in far greater depth than I'd done before.
- Despite the rather amusing sight of ladies in Elizabethan dress asking us to turn off our mobiles, I heard at least three during the course of the evening.
- Marlowe and Shakespeare dominated late Elizabethan drama, although they did not monopolize it.
- Pupils from Old Palace school dressed up in Elizabethan costume to welcome visitors to the historic building.
- In the ‘factional’ model of Elizabethan politics he has been seen as the rival of Burghley.
- Schemes for North American plantations also developed during Elizabethan times.
- Today, the Great Hall has regained its dignity and is home to Elizabethan banquets, weddings and other special events.
- My stricture does not include Shakespeare and Elizabethan drama of course.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.