In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(European animal)alce masculine
- Much more demanding is big game hunting for brown bear, elk and deer.
- Since the area was once home to buffalo, elk, deer, and antelope herds, grazing is another management tool.
- Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.
- Not long ago my friend Steve Johns was talking with a Colorado hunting guide who had led Koenig on elk and mule deer hunts.
- Deer, elk, bear and mountain lions can all be found at this attitude.
- Coyotes, white-tailed deer, elk, and even alligators can cause problems on the ground.
- Traditionally, the Blackfoot made their clothing from the hides of buffalo, deer, elk, and antelope.
- In some parts of America, people like to hunt deer, elk and bears, while in other areas they hunt wild boars.
- The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.
- Soon after the studies began, however, Foothills deer and elk began dying from a mysterious disease.
- It had yielded both mule deer and elk for us in the past.
- After I swapped for it, I took six mule deer and an elk before moving up to more ‘modern’ guns.
- The wildflowers will be out and so will the elk, deer, sea lions, seals, and sea birds.
- Researchers are not even sure yet how the disease spreads from deer to deer or elk to elk.
- They resemble in these respects similar grooves on the antlers of moose and elk and the frill and horns of Triceratops.
- All of the evidence suggests, therefore, that the drawing was probably intended to represent a deer or perhaps an elk.
- As these species became extinct, the giant birds switched to bison, elk, and deer.
- Although they scavenge less often than Bald Eagles, they will eat carrion of deer and elk, especially in winter.
- Deer, elk, and sometimes bobcat and coyote may be seen or heard from the cabin boundary.
- Bears in Glacier National Park follow wolf packs and mountain lions to remote regions using them as providers of meals of deer and elk.
2(American animal)uapití masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.