In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By the early 1950s, however, she had eloped with the Czech-Irish writer Ernest Gebler and by the time her first book was published, she had left for London, where she has lived ever since.
- Count Baldwin I of Flanders eloped with Judith, daughter of King Charles the Bald of the west Franks, who was by the age of 16 the widow of two kings of Wessex.
- Tell me honestly, would you truly befriend your enemies after discovering their kid eloped with your child, and then made this whole chaotic catastrophe that led to their deaths?
- Today she was complaining about her grand-daughter who had eloped with the washer-man.
- ‘Of course,’ said Cyrvil, recalling her own Mother's lady-in-waiting who had eloped with a knight from another Great Isle.
- I'm beginning to understand some of what my mother must have gone through after I eloped with Rolf.
- As Elizabeth Linley, before she eloped with Sheridan around 1773, the sitter was a professional singer and member of a celebrated musical family in Bath.
- ‘I eloped with John Bardy, the stableboy you fired,’ Annabelle said coldly.
- So she eloped with a guy with bad anger management problems so they could start a new life… with no money, no plan, and absolutely nowhere to go.
- Although Caroli never ‘escaped her mother's domination,’ she did succeed in leaving home when she eloped with a man she had ‘dated for two weeks.’
- Hogarth, his sometime pupil, eloped with his daughter in 1729.
- He eloped with a daughter of the duke of Richmond in 1744 and they were a devoted couple, dying within days of one another.
- She eloped with a Greek, so we're going to Greece to meet the in-laws.
- One long sequence in which she tells Charles the story of how she eloped with her husband, and the consequences that ensued, is a minor tour de force of sustained emotional expression.
- She remembered the solitary week his clinic had lasted before he had eloped with the superintendent's wife.
- After being expelled from various convent schools and working briefly as a model, she eloped with an aspiring poet when she was 18.
- But Avon was long gone, having eloped with her high-school love interest, David Wrighter.
- Never particularly happy in his home life, at the age of 19 Shelley eloped with his first love, Harriet Grove, who bore him a daughter two years later.
- You just disappeared and Eileen told me that you had eloped with a man you'd been seeing on the sly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.