In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(shame)bochorno masculinevergüenza femininepena feminine Latin America Southern Conehe suffered the embarrassment of having to admit that … — sufrió el bochorno de tener que reconocer que …
- to avoid embarrassment, please do not ask for credit — para evitar situaciones violentas / embarazosas, por favor no pida fiado
- Horror, shock, embarrassment, confusion and sadness all swept across at the same time.
- The embarrassment and shame it brings on the family means people are keeping quiet and women are being cocooned in their homes.
- Compulsions are obvious to an observer and can cause considerable shame and embarrassment.
- It evoked feelings of nostalgia, embarrassment and wonder at how I was thinking then.
- Along with embarrassment and guilt, shame is one of the emotions that motivate moral behaviour.
- They boast of getting ‘wrecked’ at weekends as a matter of pride rather than shame or embarrassment.
- I put down my music, eyes pricking and throat closing up with anxiety, rage, confusion and embarrassment.
- The actions of the fans were disrespectful, and they have brought shame and embarrassment on their club, and on this country.
- I felt a lot of shame, embarrassment and humiliation, I lived with all that for years.
- A lot of women still feel embarrassment and shame about their own desires.
- He looks around and is consumed by acute embarrassment, even shame, at what he sees.
- Pauline said today she feared that embarrassment and shame could be stopping Christine and Nicholas from contacting her.
- Boys, to Nina's shame and embarrassment, were a constant preoccupation.
- Feelings of expectation, embarrassment, distress and emotional harm vary according to the individual.
- As the addiction can be accompanied by feelings of shame and embarrassment, sufferers often find it difficult to seek help.
- This to me sounds like some gay people feel shame or embarrassment in having a partner of the same sex.
- Today I have no pride, no faith, only embarrassment, anger, and frustration.
- I wondered how much of this self-conscious embarrassment was induced by a few days in the surroundings of Oxford.
- This is a highly readable and strangely affecting comedy of embarrassment, resentment, grief and love.
- It will be profound, a mixture of embarrassment, shame and a huge feeling of emptiness.
2(cause of shame)this room/meal is an embarrassment! — ¡esta pieza/comida es una vergüenza!
- he's an embarrassment to his friends — les hace pasar vergüenza a sus amigos
- financial embarrassment — dificultades económicas
3(overabundance)with so many good candidates you have an embarrassment of riches — con tantos buenos candidatos tienen más que de sobra para elegir
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.