In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An official at the Malaysian embassy said that the factory which be would situated in Otjimuise in Windhoek, would be up and running by September.
- Officials at the Indian embassy said nearly 100 Indians had been arrested in the past two months by Iraqi and Syrian authorities for illegal entry.
- But officials from the embassy in Kenya were to meet and did meet today with Kenyan officials and the Israeli investigators.
- A larger demonstration is due to take place today with protesters planning to march past the US ambassador's residence and the British embassy.
- After the agreement was signed, residents at the embassy packed-up and left, following 10 weeks of camping out in the cold in the face of a racist media campaign.
- A suspicious letter posted in France and containing white powder was received at the US embassy, officials said.
- Italian officials believe the embassy could have been the target for a terrorist plot on Sunday.
- Officials at the Egyptian embassy in London were not available for comment yesterday.
- There are about 1,530 business establishments in Makati, including 53 embassies and consular offices, enough to keep the city's bomb squad on their toes night and day.
- In August, two officials of the Cuban embassy in Argentina were kidnapped and Cubana airlines offices in Panama were bombed.
- An official at the Canadian embassy in Saudi Arabia, which is also responsible for Yemen, said the mission was aware of the incident but was not in a position to comment.
- Officials at the Israeli embassy in Budapest said they had been told that three Arab men had been detained so far for planning a bomb attack against the president.
- You're in touch with U.S. officials at the American embassy there.
- The claim has been confirmed by officials in the U.S. embassy in Jakarta who have had access to intercepts of the army's radio communications.
- French officials at the embassy tried to talk Wilson out of it, and would not take the medal back.
- The only people I spoke to before the decision were the officials at the Portuguese embassy.
- All the official jets, snazzy embassies, and expensive press agents cannot hide that these illegitimate rulers are not in the political sense Western at all.
- An official from the Irish embassy in Singapore was en route to Bali last night.
- An official at the Israeli embassy said he had heard the reports but said he could not confirm whether a missile was fired.
- Mani was again to the fore last week, meeting officials at the Zimbabwean embassy in London to help bring about the climbdown over the withdrawal of media accreditation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.