In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The development of molecular biology and embryology since World War II have greatly enhanced the possibilities of genetically engineering future populations.
- In the rest of this chapter we first look at the history of embryology - as the study of developmental biology has been called for most of its existence.
- We can now begin to explore these question more rigorously, in a phylogenetic context, with the benefit of new information from embryology, development, and developmental genetics.
- Former studies on seed development in Grevillea have concentrated on embryology, with little information that would allow testing of hypotheses about the breaking of dormancy by fire-related cues.
- Deep knowledge of anatomy physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
- It serves as an important model for vaccine production and the study of embryology and development, as well as for research into the connection between viruses and some types of cancer.
- This new synthesis emphasizes three morphological areas of biology that had been marginalized by the Modern Synthesis of genetics and evolution: embryology, macroevolution, and homology.
- We don't have to take sides in the abortion debate to agree that development and embryology and fetuses are neat.
- Indeed they are, and contemporary human embryology and developmental biology leave no significant room for doubt about it.
- Advancements in technology would allow for the preservation of samples and the planning of well-designed experiments to study their embryology and development.
- Consider the two major processes in biology - embryology and evolution - that, as applied to human history, must be expressed as tales of sequential development toward greater complexity.
- Together, neuroscience, psychology, embryology, and molecular biology are teaching us about ourselves as knowers - about what it is to know, learn, remember, and forget.
- The meat of what they want to say in this book comes in the long, careful account of how cell and molecular biology has grown to its current ferment, which in turn set off the present explosive developments in embryology.
- They're one of the primary models for embryology and development since they grow inside an egg rather than a mother's uterus, making for easier study.
- Historically, the focus of most research on developmental biology of nemerteans was limited to descriptive and experimental embryology and larval development.
- But we also use things like development, embryology or immune systems, or even neural networks, the way brains work.
- New methods for generating phylogenetic relationships brought comparative embryology back to the forefront; now we can assess the direction of evolutionary changes in development.
- For example, completion of the chicken genome will provide a valuable model for human embryology and development as well as for study of reproductive diseases.
- Conodonts were named and first described in 1856 by Christian Heinrich Pander, one of the founders of embryology and paleontology in Russia.
- The book begins with an extremely useful and sobering historical account of the fields of embryology and the strong mutual neglect between embryology and mainstream evolutionary biology.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.