In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Use the emery cloth and clean the end of the pipe and the inside socket on the other piece.
- We shampoo them, comb the tails and polish the horns with emery paper, and they love it,’ he says.
- With these first impressions, I work back into the plate with a scraper, burnisher and emery paper to enhance the lights and accent the motif.
- Very fine emery cloth will give quicker results, but the metal must be rubbed in only one direction, do not use a circular motion.
- To eliminate them, use emery paper and sand off the spots then make the plate flat.
- The arms are bent into shape and fitted and the whole is finished off with file and emery paper.
- For safety's sake, use an emery cloth to sand the cut edges of your newly shortened rake.
- With emery cloth, lightly rub each contact point to remove rust.
- Use a scraper, wire brush, or coarse emery cloth to remove any bubbled paint finish and loose rust.
- With steel wool, emery cloth or a wire brush remove all loose peeling paint and rust.
- I had to make my bed, help with dishes and clean the knives with pink emery powder - quite an arduous job in the days before stainless steel knives.
- Smooth weathered, rough wooden handles with medium-grit emery cloth - it won't tear as easily as sandpaper.
- To remove mildew stains from Venetian blinds, mix together some fine emery powder and linseed oil.
- It is done by hand, using a lathe to spin the barrel and a skilled touch with fine emery paper to polish the barrel to fit the bushing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.