In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many of our emigrants, fortunately, have had positive experiences in their adopted countries.
- Without that contribution from the emigrants we could not enjoy the economic success that we have today.
- The age profile of emigrants was younger than that for immigrants.
- It is reckoned that emigrants sent home the equivalent of 2 billion which helped to prop up our ailing economy.
- Like all emigrants, he loved the homeland and kept in constant touch.
- Specifically, emigrants would be able to move half their money as a first stage, then half of what is left a year later.
- However in hard economic times Irish emigrants had sent remittances home to sustain their families in Ireland.
- But, in many cases, deportation is the least worry facing the illegal emigrants.
- It shouldn't surprise anybody that generations of emigrants have gone to other countries to find employment.
- The Minister said he will ask the group to pay special attention to the position of vulnerable and elderly emigrants.
- Six tall ships stopped in Hull as they retraced the route from Europe to America taken by two million emigrants more than a century ago.
- Many other emigrants subsequently settled in Dublin and the other major urban centres in the country.
- These emigrants sent money back home when they were young and healthy, working on the buildings and roads in England.
- The influx of a huge number of returning emigrants and migrant workers was the last thing that was needed.
- How important is ethnicity for the descendants of emigrants?
- Many of the Irish emigrants in that city are lonely and isolated and need help and support at this vulnerable time in their lives.
- He said returning emigrants would be afforded particular priority under the planning guidelines for rural housing.
- The only significant change since earlier times was that emigrants went to England rather than America.
- Many of the lands to which these emigrants went are still amongst the world's most thinly populated areas.
- In more recent times, emigrants from Ireland and Scotland made homes there.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.