In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Suddenly they moved, telling neighbours they were emigrating to the US.
- So far as I can ascertain he never returned to Ireland after emigrating in 1873.
- In 1983, Arnold Schwarzenegger became a US citizen, 14 years after emigrating from Austria.
- They performed from an early age, impressing audiences in the north west before emigrating to Australia in 1958.
- She studied with Preobrajenska as a child in Paris, where her parents settled after emigrating from Russia.
- The brothers were born on the Isle of Man and moved to Manchester in the 1950s, before emigrating to Australia in 1958.
- On emigrating to the US,he was actively involved in sporting organisations in the Big Apple.
- For the past five years we have had 150,000 or so more people immigrating each year than emigrating.
- In the late 1800s east European Jews emigrating to the USA brought the bagel with them.
- They collaborated on three plays and a travel book before emigrating to America together in January 1939.
- Prior to emigrating to England in the 1950s, Martin worked on the family farm.
- Then his family emigrated to the United States and settled in Chicago.
- Their reasons for emigrating in the first place were mostly economic and the tales of fortunes to be made abroad spurred them on.
- Many citizens with higher education were trained abroad and they often emigrate permanently.
- First, skilled workers are legally emigrating, temporarily or permanently, to rich countries.
- In his early years, he emigrated to Leeds and after some years married and settled there.
- According to a recent survey, fewer Irish people are emigrating to America than at any time for more than 200 years.
- She added that the couple were originally from Blackburn, but had worked for three years in Manchester before emigrating.
- He arrived in Chippenham in 1963 at the age of 20, after emigrating from Foggio in Southern Italy.
- Herschel settled in the area after emigrating from Germany.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.