In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1extensión de la esfera de influencia dentro de una organización por medio de un mayor control sobre secciones o departamentos de la misma
- Not long after, the well-known process of empire-building demanded that the Arts Council acquire a new (and not necessarily improved) visual-arts department.
- Private firms, particularly those with some degree of market power, may engage in empire-building or deviate from profit maximization in other ways for considerable periods of time.
- They are prone to empire-building, which encourages them to support additional regulation and the consequential increases of their resources.
- To some observers, the organisation exhibits many features of empire-building that have no place in the state sector and make change difficult to execute.
- His aspirations to become Australia's dominant newspaper owner was branded as empire-building.
- But even with management's attention directed towards empire-building, the financial performance has remained reasonably buoyant.
- But the speed and style of his empire-building led to accusations of a lack of consultation from within the organisation as well as from the powerful club chairmen.
- These and other realities carry a stark message: the same capitalist, empire-building forces that impose the wars abroad also impose the war at home.
- He argues that this policy of empire-building is shortsighted and not conducive to the long-term interest of either the governors or the governed.
- He said this power-mongering had led to empire-building, where sports structures were used as power bases for launching attacks and counter-attacks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.