In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(manager, boss)empleador masculineempleadora femininemasculine patrónfeminine patronashe's a fair employer — es justa con sus empleados
- unions and employers — los sindicatos y la patronal / los empresarios
- The act obliges employers to identify and safeguard against all risks to health and safety.
- The laws that currently exist allow employers to pay their employees as they please.
- The biggest single employer in the mid west region is to shed 150 jobs amid fears further cuts will follow.
- The embroidery industry is a major employer of female workers.
- The car industry was a core employer of manufacturing labour, particularly the post-war influx of non-English-speaking migrant workers.
- In any free market employers are forced to compete for the services of their employees.
- Graduates were given 10 minutes to impress prospective employers.
- A woman who was sacked after returning from maternity leave is suing her former employer for sex discrimination.
- One of the town's biggest employers has folded, putting 195 people out of work.
- The council has not yet prosecuted any employers for breaking child employment laws.
- The scheme finds employment opportunities for local residents by encouraging employers in the area to contact them first.
- The talks culminated in a meeting between the unions, the government and the employers ' federation the following week.
- In May the government made employers responsible for checking the immigration status of their workers.
- The largest local employer is the state government.
- You can also sue your former employer for discrimination and other unfair practices that violate company policy.
- They feel that they have been let down by the Government, the employers and now by their own union.
- But he is finding it impossible to find an employer willing to take him on as an apprentice.
- Some private-sector employers who failed to comply with the law also complained that the timing was inappropriate.
- Federal law requires employers to make such information available to their workers upon request.
- They're already the second largest private sector employer in the state of California.
2(business, organization)one of the biggest employers in the country — uno de los mayores empleadores del país
- list your three most recent employers — indique las tres últimas empresas para las que ha trabajado
- employer's contributions — cotizaciones por parte de la empresa
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.