- It should be noted that Orchid's character is based on Tzu Hsi, who was China's longest-reigning female ruler and its last empress.
- The reigning empresses were enthroned to prevent a break in succession in cases of emergency, such as when a crown prince was too young to reign or was forced to postpone enthronement for political reasons.
- Disraeli seized the chance to buy a controlling interest in the Suez canal, he sent the flamboyant Lytton to India as viceroy, and his 1876 Royal Titles Act proclaimed Victoria empress of India.
- Anarchists threw bombs into the French parliament, and assassinated the Russian tsar, the French president, the Austrian empress, the Spanish prime minister, and the Italian king.
- When the farmer brings him to Court, he makes the acquaintance of Her Majesty, the royal empress of Brobningnag.
- China's emperors and empresses knew what they wanted.
- The latest proclamation from the Empress states that all women, other than the empress herself, must leave the kingdom for unspoken reasons.
- They had to sneak into the capital and find a way into the empress's fortress.
- Constitutional changes to permit a female empress may thus trigger dangerous public debate about the need for a monarchy.
- There were many rumors that she was going to be the future empress of Austria.
- The giant Schonbrunn Palace was created for the empress Maria Theresa and her 16 children, and it looked pretty magical by lamplight.
- She began receiving years of private instruction to assist her in her role as the future empress.
- The centerpiece depicts the empress enthroned under a baldachin and surrounded by figures of Hercules, Minerva, Mars, and other gods celebrating her military achievements.
- In 1768 he traveled to Vienna to inoculate the family of the Austrian empress Maria Theresa - including the young Marie Antoinette - and subsequently served as court physician for over ten years.