In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1enclave masculinea male enclave in a profession dominated by women — un coto masculino en una profesión donde dominan las mujeres
- Several Jewish enclaves already existed within the Holy Roman Empire (from Prague to Frankfurt) well before the sixteenth century.
- But ethnic enclaves, unions, and competing values contributed to distinct cultures of consumption.
- Should we instead be encouraging the foundation of a series of autonomous, loosely interdependent ethnic enclaves?
- Isolated European ethnic enclaves and insulated enclaves of privilege, however, have seen their boundaries opened.
- San Marino is an Independent republic and enclave within northern Italy, with a population of 46,500.
- For example, not all immigrants resided in ethnic enclaves close to ethnic retail outlets.
- Deep suspicions and fears continue to divide the people into ethnic enclaves.
- Liberals see immigrant communities as ethnic enclaves that retard the development of American individualism.
- A century ago, in a multi-cultural America comprised of separate cultural enclaves, ethnic groups were more involved in the affairs of their own communities than the larger society.
- They settled in metropolitan areas including Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago, and formed organized ethnic enclaves throughout the nation.
- In large urban areas, distinct ethnic enclaves such as the Polish, Irish, Jewish, and Italian communities persisted.
- Most islands are multiethnic, with large and small groups forming geographical enclaves.
- A world reputation for jobs, and a ‘welcome to the neighbourhood’ attitude has historically created a city of immigrants and ethnic enclaves.
- While casinos were illegal in Hong Kong, they had taken deep root in the old Portuguese enclave.
- So far we've left the struggle to a few dedicated activists in ethnic enclaves.
- Delegates at the assembly were careful to emphasise that they didn't seek independence, but a semi-autonomous enclave within a federal Iraq.
- Because of its close proximity to work, immigrants settled on the Lower East Side, forming ethnic enclaves.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.