In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(process, work)grabado masculine
- The monk reached down, took it out, and peered at the intricate engraving of Chinese characters.
- Walking around the back of the island an engraving on the wall of a building intrigued me.
- By the middle of the 1600s engravings depict the tower as three storeys high but dilapidated.
- As well as contemporary bronzes and ivories, engravings were also being used as design sources.
- The best illustrated edition of Jane Austen uses contemporary fashion plates, engravings of carriages, town scenes and so on.
- They, it seems, were copied from books of engravings and photographs or from pictures painted by others.
- All engravings are hand-made in the workshop from the original plates by a team of four specialists.
- Fond of using wood as a medium, Frank began to gain recognition for his woodcuts and wood engravings.
- Works of art include paintings, engravings, prints as well as original sculptures or statues.
- There's some absolutely beautiful engravings in some of these early botanical books which they did.
- Certain of the artist's plates, pictures and engravings had been sold in 1858 for £2,500.
- For sheer numbers of prints and engravings reproduced, no other Victorian artist came close.
- The shop specialises in maps, engravings, and prints from 1570 onwards.
- Some cards were printed on simulated parchment, and some were illustrated with copperplate engravings.
- These photographs were offered for sale to newspapers, where they supplemented the older tradition of line drawings and engravings.
- On display will be a range of visual interpretations of characters and scenes, including early wood engravings and contemporary photographs.
- The Napoleon book features engravings and watercolours showing the island of St Helena and portraits of the emperor and the Count De Las Cases.
- His exploits were commemorated in a series of paintings, portraits and engravings.
- The enormous influence of his woodcuts and engravings turned the print into a significant and distinctively German art form.
- His best-known works are his wood engravings, which are mainly figure compositions and landscapes in a bold, clear style.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.