In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both stories focus on the ways in which enslaved people created community and resisted their oppression.
- Practically enslaving me, killing my parents, ruining my estate, and refusing to tell me whether my only brother is still living is kindly?
- I concede, therefore, that he might have enslaved the Irish prisoners of war.
- The indigenous people were killed or enslaved, their cities lost to the forest.
- Just as they are bond slaves to sin, so they seek to enslave us similarly.
- Earlier this year, three soldiers and paramilitaries were convicted of mass rape and of sexually enslaving women.
- If you are enslaved, you cannot go anywhere of your own free will.
- His fighters laid siege to a country's cities, starved and enslaved its people, and sowed its fields with mines.
- Adams, the farmer's son who despised slavery and practiced the kind of personal economy and plain living commonly upheld as the American way, was scorned as an aristocrat who, if he could, would enslave the common people.
- If you have a religion, a belief system or a traditional practice that enslaves people, puts them in servitude and reduces their dignity, then you violate our national constitution.
- It continues its raids, terrorizing villages, killing civilians and capturing and enslaving children.
- But his are cries of impotent despair against the master who has enslaved him.
- Unicef estimates that up to 200,000 children are enslaved in West Africa.
- It was perfectly acceptable, or at least conceivable, to make war on, exterminate, or enslave colored people.
- Why should we support religiously intolerant regimes that virtually enslave women and persecute nonbelievers to death?
- They are the arguments that kings have made for enslaving the people in all ages of the world.
- For example, my ancestors came to this country during the wave of mass immigration in the early part of the 1900s - they certainly didn't enslave anybody and neither did their ancestors.
- Murdered and enslaved children, no matter what their color or gender or faith, suffer because of our failings.
- It's you and your ancestors who got rich in the first place by murdering, stealing land, enslaving people and animals, stealing and selling cultures and destroying the environment.
- He had sworn when he was seven years old that no one would ever enslave him again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.