In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are the arguments that kings have made for enslaving the people in all ages of the world.
- Murdered and enslaved children, no matter what their color or gender or faith, suffer because of our failings.
- If you have a religion, a belief system or a traditional practice that enslaves people, puts them in servitude and reduces their dignity, then you violate our national constitution.
- Practically enslaving me, killing my parents, ruining my estate, and refusing to tell me whether my only brother is still living is kindly?
- Unicef estimates that up to 200,000 children are enslaved in West Africa.
- Adams, the farmer's son who despised slavery and practiced the kind of personal economy and plain living commonly upheld as the American way, was scorned as an aristocrat who, if he could, would enslave the common people.
- The indigenous people were killed or enslaved, their cities lost to the forest.
- He had sworn when he was seven years old that no one would ever enslave him again.
- It's you and your ancestors who got rich in the first place by murdering, stealing land, enslaving people and animals, stealing and selling cultures and destroying the environment.
- For example, my ancestors came to this country during the wave of mass immigration in the early part of the 1900s - they certainly didn't enslave anybody and neither did their ancestors.
- Earlier this year, three soldiers and paramilitaries were convicted of mass rape and of sexually enslaving women.
- Both stories focus on the ways in which enslaved people created community and resisted their oppression.
- It was perfectly acceptable, or at least conceivable, to make war on, exterminate, or enslave colored people.
- But his are cries of impotent despair against the master who has enslaved him.
- I concede, therefore, that he might have enslaved the Irish prisoners of war.
- Why should we support religiously intolerant regimes that virtually enslave women and persecute nonbelievers to death?
- His fighters laid siege to a country's cities, starved and enslaved its people, and sowed its fields with mines.
- Just as they are bond slaves to sin, so they seek to enslave us similarly.
- It continues its raids, terrorizing villages, killing civilians and capturing and enslaving children.
- If you are enslaved, you cannot go anywhere of your own free will.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.