In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Ecologythe environment — el medio ambiente
- (in UK) the Department of the Environment — la Secretaría de Desarrollo Urbano y Ecología
- Background radiation is a feature of our environment on Earth extending back throughout geological time.
- I am involved in creating pesticides that are better for both humans and the environment.
- In alpine environments, plants may be exposed to high temperatures during the day, but may be subject to overnight lows near freezing.
- Can we think about people as actual, literal, ecological components of their environments?
- The concept of instinct is an attempt to explain why some kinds of behaviour develop consistently in a given species across a wide range of environments.
- But he does have the power to stop the trials if there is evidence of harm to human health or the environment.
- If they are really involved in social activities and the environment, there is no limit.
- "The risk to human health was tiny, " said an environment department spokesman.
- The lipid membrane environment influences the conformational space explored by the peptide.
- Neither really confronts other than tangentially how being a port distinctively shaped the urban environment and the urban experience.
- The single largest problem facing the environment is human overpopulation.
- The depositional environment that preserved this fauna has been subject to widely different interpretations.
- Why should the environment and natural resources in general be treated differently?
- As one might expect, the environments in which farm animals are confined can also be significantly contaminated.
- There were angry warnings yesterday about potential damage to the environment and human health.
- Acclimation may also be hidden if plants are grown under environments which lie at or beyond the limit of that species' acclimation capacity.
- There are a lot of concerns over the safety of the environment and the natural food crops.
- Secondly, we may consider the effects of human action on the environment itself.
- Education and the environment are the key areas of interest for the bank, worldwide.
- The simulations also show that the structure of the linker is strongly affected by its lipid environment.
- The plants were grown in soil in controlled environments at the plant density used in agricultural conditions.
- So much sewage being pumped into the Thames is bad for the environment, bad for human health and bad for the image of the Thames.
- On the other hand certain environments will exclude plant species because of the specific adaptations that are required to survive.
- He is now urging the parliament's powerful environment committee to mount an investigation.
- Anything that gets in the way, from human rights to the environment, is trampled underfoot.
- Never the less I was very keen to help her stop polluting the environment in the way that she did.
- Only reverence can restrain violence - reverance for human life and the environment.
- Carbonaceous sediments were deposited over a wide range of environments.
- They have no respect for their environment, their surroundings and their neighbours.
- The architecture profession is experiencing tremendous pressure to change the ways it perceives and shapes the built environment.
- Environmentalists point out that the contamination of farmed salmon is so bad that the farms pollute the surrounding environment.
- I lived in hostile environments, surrounded by religious bigotry where no one understood me.
- Nitrate is a major form of nitrogen available to plants in many environments.
- Species were selected from a wide range of environments and evolutionary lineages.
- Deforestation is also a hallmark of the human impact on the environment.
- Will they put human health and the environment above chemical industry profits?
- They do this because the environment lobby carries less clout that the vested interests of business.
- If this means a more active environment protection committee and a more responsive and caring council then so be it.
- So they're very rich environments in potential plants and animals that are going to be useful for human beings.
- They are non-polluting, and can be adapted to different cultural and ecological environments.
2(surroundings)a hostile environment for man — un medio hostil al hombre
- she's studying rabbits in their natural environment — estudia a los conejos en su entorno / hábitat natural
- wild animals suffer in a zoo environment — los animales salvajes sufren en el ambiente de un zoológico
- children need a stable home environment — los niños necesitan un hogar estable
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.