In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Ecology(factor) ambiental(factor) medioambiental(expert) en ecología(expert) en medio ambiente(damage) al medio ambiente(damage) medioambientalenvironmental education — educación medioambiental / del medio ambiente feminine
- environmental groups — grupos ecologistas
- the environmental impact — el impacto medio ambiental / sobre el medio ambiente
- From an environmental, planning or human viewpoint this proposal is unacceptable.
- In recent years, he has become as famous for his campaigning on environmental and human rights issues as for his music.
- Operators, public or private, have a clear responsibility to cause the minimum environmental impact.
- Councillors say that option would have less visual and environmental impact.
- The former team proposed the most overtly environmental design of any of the finalists.
- It was the first time environmental activists had been sent to prison, and it really inspired people.
- Now that is the most significant environmental impact that humans can have on the planet.
- The consultants will then undertake an environmental impact report on behalf of the Council.
- Some EU countries are arguing that environmental degradation is a hidden subsidy on cheap exports.
- It is part of efforts to promote environmental and economic redevelopment in the area.
- They knew this was illegal, so publicly they said the meetings were about issues such as environmental protection.
- The typical industrial sectors with relatively high environmental impact continue to lead in reporting.
- There are also issues of its environmental impact, but it is nevertheless likely to be important.
- For the first time, environmental issues are at the heart of widespread popular activity.
- Such are our numbers that almost inevitably waste, environmental impact and species extinction follow.
- The alliance cites a variety of environmental and economic impacts in support of their position.
- They both concluded that there was very little difference in overall environmental impact.
- Their achievement is to have overcome being labelled cranks to make a real impact on the crucial environmental debate.
- In late June, state officials halved their ambitious plans and added new environmental protections to the leases.
- An environmental activist found a place in this list along with quite a few history sheeters.
- Trade should be conditional upon minimum environmental and human rights standards.
- I am one of those environmental activists who recognise we live on a planet of finite resources.
- Ironically, the principal lobby against completion of the road is its negative environmental impact.
- Student environmental activists were delighted by the news of the University's decision.
- As environmental groups have long stressed, the government cannot build its way out of congestion.
- They also identified militarism as the cause of much environmental degradation.
- Watch groups are run by willing and enthusiastic volunteers who organise the environmental activities.
2(of surroundings)(factor) ambiental(influence) del ambiente(influence) del entorno(influence) del medio
- Chilling temperature is one of the most studied environmental factors in plant stress physiology research.
- Drought is an environmental factor that produces water deficit or water stress in plants.
- High salinity is one of the most important environmental stresses impeding crop growth.
- The same applies to the meridian programmes and to the specific environmental stresses, colours and trauma.
- By amplifying speech or environmental noise, hearing aids can also be effective in many cases.
- A number of genes as well as environmental factors also may play a role.
- All plants display this ability to tolerate environmental stress to varying degrees.
- Rapid phenotypic changes are expected to occur in invasive species in response to new environmental conditions.
- Plants are continually exposed to environmental fluctuations that lead to oxidative stress.
- A large proportion of the rhythmically regulated genes also directly respond to environmental stress.
- Allow the flooring to adjust to its new environmental conditions before you start the installation.
- Human health is heavily dependent on lifestyle habits and environmental conditions.
- Leaf ageing has a significant effect on photosynthesis even when environmental factors do not change.
- In my experience the worst environmental factor is fine dust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.