In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Appolinaire wrote the epitaph written on Rousseau's tombstone.
- All the tombstones were well carved, and some had wonderful epitaphs written on them; one, belonging to a 22 year old woman said ‘Those who seek me with all their heart shall find me where they least expect’.
- The epitaph, written on a grave in Padua, gives the date of his death in June, 1945.
- I read what I had written about an epitaph that had struck me as particular and meaningful.
- Naturally, the epitaph on his tombstone should read ‘Th-that-that's all folks!’
- A single gravestone from this period may be inscribed with epitaphs that belong to as many as seven different individuals, though whether or not the grave contained seven bodies is unknown.
- In both films, every house becomes a crypt, every word an epitaph.
- The images in the frieze seem to elaborate in visual terms what the epitaphs below convey in words.
- Now friends, write an epitaph for yourself, and share them with us.
- Surely knowing that he was writing his own epitaph, Frank, who lived in Piccadilly Village, last year published a candid autobiography, I Am What I Am.
- The recent inscription of his epitaph upon their large granite gravestone gave him a sense of contentment and presaged a new era for humankind.
- The wanderer realized this was not just a monument but also a grave, and the inscription was an epitaph.
- How would you like to be remembered in your epitaph?
- Babu and I wander into the sanctuary, looking at chest-high tablets inscribed with epitaphs for both Sherpa and foreign climbers.
- English translations of the epitaphs on ancient tombstones of the Dutch and Portuguese in St. Francis Church at Fort Kochi will soon be displayed.
- Amusement can be gained from tombstone epitaphs which, when read differently, can see intentions misconstrued to say the least.
- It is full of natural history; notes about customs she has observed, epitaphs, and inscriptions on bells; here are also drawings of carvings she has seen on screens and pew ends in churches.
- A few words like that are sweeter than an epitaph on the grandest tombstone ever raised.
- This might be recorded on their tombstone as an epitaph or in an obituary, commemoration portrait, or in some cases a biography.
- The epitaphs, written in many different languages, recorded an international community of the dead.
- I'm sure Barry meant well but I'd think twice before commissioning him to write your epitaph.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.