In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1era feminineépoca femininethe discovery marked a new epoch in medicine — el descubrimiento marcó un hito en la historia de la medicina
- With that a new epoch in the history of imperialism was introduced.
- This is the beginning of a new epoch, the beginning of a new great democracy.
- We can even speak of the beginning of a new epoch.
- When the forms of production come into conflict with existing social relations, a revolutionary epoch arises.
- Mankind had entered the epoch of the social revolution.
- Mrs Raistrick said the ceremony ‘marked an epoch in the educational history of Upper Wharfedale and, we hope, begins a new era of development and progress in education.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.