In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The climate was equatorial, with little annual fluctuation in day length or temperature.
- The rivalry between the European colonial powers in Africa reached a peak in these unclaimed and unexplored regions of the equatorial belt.
- Of these poor and disenfranchised, the majority live a marginal existence in equatorial climates.
- The warm water and air masses move eastward across the equatorial region, until they reach the west coast of the Americas.
- This map shows the concentration of water vapour close to the soil around the equatorial region of Mars.
- The mountain spans five climate zones from the equatorial to the arctic.
- This was clearly the intent of its designers, since the equatorial and polar regions are of particular interest.
- The island has an equatorial climate, with little variation in temperature throughout the year.
- Although most of the world was dry, climate stratification allowed a narrow equatorial tropical belt to develop.
- Hydrogen in lesser concentrations also was detected in the equatorial regions.
- It is a rich, green environment that provides a year-round equatorial climate.
- With its equatorial climate, Bushara Island is truly ideal.
- Low-lying plains sprawl across half the equatorial region in the shape of a scorpion.
- The area has an equatorial climate that is very cool and wet, with thick evergreen forests surrounding the tea farms.
- There are two dry seasons and two rainy seasons, but the equatorial climate is very hot and humid year-round.
- The climate is equatorial with high temperatures, high humidity, and heavy rainfall, although there is no distinct wet season.
- Physical Rwanda occupies a mountainous region where the equatorial climate is modified by the altitude.
- Chambers are subspherical to incipiently squat, in some cases bulging slightly in their equatorial regions.
- These are all in circular prograde orbits near Neptune's equatorial plane, and they probably formed in place.
- The climate is equatorial with a mean annual rainfall of 1200 mm and a mean annual temperature of 25°C.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.