In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1equinoccio masculinethe vernal/autumnal equinox — el equinoccio de primavera/otoño
- Long-term changes in the dates of the solstices and equinoxes are caused mainly by tugs imposed on the orientation of the Earth's spin axis by the Moon.
- The rapidly changing length of day around the equinoxes might disturb the circadian and sleep-wake rhythms and change mood and activity in vulnerable individuals.
- Day is slightly longer than night at the equinoxes.
- ‘An equinox is when night and day are equal,’ he said.
- It won't be until after the equinox on 23 September that the longer days will allow the warmth to settle in.
- Technically, a solstice is an astronomical point and, due to the procession to the equinox, the date may vary by a few days depending on the year.
- At this stage we might as well mention two other very important dates in the year, the equinoxes.
- What was left of the population had to cross the equator every equinox to escape the now-extreme winters and summers.
- These nine nights occur on equinoxes or equal nights when the sun is vertically overhead at the equator or centre.
- As a result, the actual occurrence of the equinoxes and solstices slowly moved away from their calendar dates.
- Note that day length is at a minimum at the start of winter, at a maximum at the start of summer, and is 12 hours at the spring and fall equinoxes.
- The Harvest Moon, therefore, occurs within several days of September 23, the fall equinox.
- Anyone who says day and night is equal on the equinox hasn't bothered to let facts get in the way of theory.
- It was once connected with the fall equinox, the day when day and night are equal.
- It lies close to the date midway between an equinox and a solstice. Such dates carry an importance in many European and European-derived calendars.
- The lengths of the hours were equal around the equinoxes but the rest of the time they could vary considerably.
- Others (like astronomers) may insist that the equinoxes and solstices mark the season starts, so that spring begins with the vernal or spring equinox around March 20.
- During the spring and fall equinoxes, the Sun also passes through this plane (from the perspective of Earth).
- I feel a strong attachment to the equinox in March because my birthday is the 23rd and so I usually try to combine a celebration of the two.
- He relied on the formula adopted by the Church two centuries before, the Easter shall fall on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring of the equinox.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.