In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.
- Some ermine appropriate the burrows of mice or ground squirrels and adapt them for their own use.
- Vikka is quick to identify the tracks of wolverine, fox and ermine.
- Arctic foxes, short-tailed weasels and ermines are some of the smaller carnivores found here.
- If the children are lucky, a white-coated ermine may dart across their snowshoe path, and a counselor can point out that four months earlier, that fur coat was mostly chocolate-brown.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.