In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He assuredly bumped off a formidable array of erstwhile friends and possible rivals.
- To be fair to the script writers, they have made Todd behave in a way which entitled his erstwhile friends and neighbours to complain about his conduct.
- Many of the president's erstwhile critics seem willing to give him a chance.
- Or is it more a question of a prime minister losing the trust of his people, including some his erstwhile friends and allies?
- But there's nothing like a common enemy to get erstwhile rivals to work together.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.