- It was this analogy that drove him on to study cholera, anthrax, erysipelas and finally rabies, culminating in the development of the rabies vaccine.
- He had developed erysipelas at the site of a mosquito bite, which resulted in septicaemia and pneumonia.
- Billroth, a German surgeon, is credited with first identifying, in 1874, streptococci isolated from a patient with erysipelas, which was a very common disease in that time, but rare today.
- The incidence of erysipelas is rising, especially in young children, the elderly, persons with diabetes, alcoholic persons, and patients with compromised immune systems or lymphedema.
- Common skin infections include cellulitis, erysipelas, impetigo, folliculitis, and furuncles and carbuncles.