In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escalope masculinefilete masculine(breaded) milanesa feminine
- Anyway, we had the garlic, tomato and oregano soaked courgettes served with a pork escalope and a glass of cold Italian Chardonnay.
- It was a hard call but escalope of pork with bacon, chick peas and celery in a tomato sauce won my vote.
- His breaded pork escalopes come tender but crunchy with unctuous buttery anchovies and fried egg, an interesting spin on the Weiner Schnitzel theme.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and dip the escalopes in it.
- My husband's main course - escalopes of chicken cooked in red wine and mushrooms - was not exciting, but perfectly acceptable.
- I had asked her to tell me, based on what she'd seen in the kitchen and on the reaction of other diners, whether she would choose the escalopes of veal or the baked fillet of cod.
- Place a half-slice of prosciutto on each escalope, put a sage leaf on top and fasten with a cocktail stick.
- Last night was the first time I actually cooked much - reheated some veal escalopes (which weren't very nice) and did some vegetables.
- Try this tasty toasted ciabatta topped with grilled chicken escalopes, baby leaf salad and mustard mayonnaise.
- Instead, you can choose a venison escalope topped with wood pigeon or the west coast lobster bisque topped with a light brandy cream.
- Instead, thick, succulent breast escalopes had been pan-fried with black pudding and chipolatas.
- Other main courses included chicken in a white wine and mushroom sauce and breaded escalope of pork with a home-made apple sauce.
- Vivian went for a festive option, escalopes of turkey stuffed with cranberry and lemon with sage.
- There are turkey steaks and fillets, meat for stews, pies and stir-fries, escalopes for pan-frying, drumsticks, minced meat for sausages, meat loaves and burgers.
- It added a wonderful flavour to my pork escalopes, combining perfectly with the sweetness of the sultanas and peppers.
- Spread on one side of the escalope and grill for 10 minutes without turning.
- The choice was roast fillet of beef or seared escalope of salmon and smoked salmon.
- My partner opted for the escalope of gammon, which was served with a fried egg, chips and vegetables.
- Those not so keen on fish could choose from equally tempting dishes such as roast chicken in tarragon cream sauce and escalope of pork with apple chutney, cider and cream.
- What I often like having here is the veal escalope or the Dover sole.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.