In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Although the escapement enables the hammer to fall away from the string, the damper is not allowed to fall back and damp the string until the key is released.
- In general, any lantern clock with a balance wheel has had its escapement restored.
- In 1730 Harrison visited London, taking with him his gridiron pendulum and the grasshopper escapement which he had developed, and there he learnt exactly what was required to win the longitude prize.
- A wind-up alarm clock, for example, uses a tension spring as a drive mechanism, an escapement wheel, and the gear-driven mechanical hands moving across the clock face as a display of the time.
- Because they have no gears or escapements to disturb their regular frequency, quartz clocks are extremely accurate and have become the dominant timekeeping technology.
- However the invention of the verge escapement in Europe in the 14th century led to a revolution in mechanical clocks.
- The five key subassemblies of the standard typewriter (the carriage, paper handling system, escapement, typebasket, and keyboard) are put on trucks and moved to the main assembly line where they are added to the typewriter frame.
- Most clocks have the following elements: the dial and its fittings, the movement and the escapement.
- In 1945 the Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences awarded him a fellowship for the invention of an escapement for spacing typewriter characters variably according to their widths.
- One of the motors drives the escapement while another is used to select the character for printing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.