In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Finish the look with a touch of crochet and add as many broad belts, wooden beaded necklaces, wedge espadrilles and tooled leather handbags as you dare.
- If you can find any decent espadrilles with at least a 4-inch heel, please let me know.
- Team your slouchy, layered outfits with wedge heeled espadrilles, because the sandals which originate from Spain and were big in the 70s are back once again.
- Try straw-coloured espadrilles or any shoe in soft caramel suede.
- I wanted to wear my suede boots but it was raining that day, so espadrilles it was.
- I remember that my French dream was to come here, live in a village and go down to the market in my espadrilles to buy lovely produce.
- We pass three young girls, espadrilles on their feet.
- Some, however, look clunkier than others, so choose a style relevant for the occasion; espadrilles are great for the beach, but they're not necessarily suitable for the office.
- Somewhat foolishly I was wearing a pair of rope espadrilles - but we made it down safely.
- I slipped on some white hemp soled espadrilles and went down to the open-air restaurant to get some food, because I was hungry.
- As she races around town, she trips over her espadrille straps and falls into a wheelie bin.
- Many of Imelda's shoes are now in a museum, including the pair of simple canvas espadrilles she was wearing at the time she had to literally run from the palace to escape the revolt.
- Time to bring back summertime's other footwear staple: espadrilles.
- Then, collect a few play-proof details to keep you looking modern… like a forever-comfortable espadrille because it's an infinitely more fresh choice than an ordinary pair of trainers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.