In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The other much vaunted advantage of Esperanto over English is, as I mentioned, that it's neutral.
- Such alternatives purport to be universal, but they are universal in much the same way that Esperanto is a universal language.
- Algol, a language suitable for expressing algorithms, is the computational equivalent of Esperanto, created in 1960 by an international committee.
- Klingon may be an artificial language, but so is Esperanto, which has thousands of speakers worldwide.
- Topics have included the history of megaliths, the semi-defunct international language Esperanto, underground Japanese cinema and music broadcast to and from space.
- These groups were interested in internationalism, saw the need for an international language, and started teaching themselves Esperanto.
- Artificial human languages like Esperanto are a more difficult case.
- Stephen, who said he has tried his hand at German, Latin and Classical Greek, is fluent in Esperanto and holds regular meetings at his home for fellow linguists.
- He's better than you and me, and to top it all off he can speak the international language of Esperanto.
- Not only literary works began to be translated into other languages and disseminated but there were also several attempts to create a global unifying language like Esperanto.
- As well as his musical activities, he was a keen amateur mathematician and scientist, and an enthusiast for Esperanto, in which language he kept a diary for many years.
- He reads widely in English and French, and also in Esperanto, a language through which he has made friends from all over the world.
- This is basically akin to saying Esperanto will make learning languages obsolete.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.