transitive verbespied, espying, espies
- We espy the professor and his assistant in the distance and amble over to them.
- If I espy a weed trying to masquerade as one of my plants I just yank it out.
- ‘I want that,’ my sister Molly says, espying my purchase.
- Later, I am in a supermarket, and I espy a former teacher whom I did not like.
- This afternoon, whilst I was chatting to an elderly couple who wanted directions to somewhere, my eyes wandered to the car park verge and espied a single solitary daffodil blooming in the late winter sun.