In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(central feature, quality)esencia femininein essence — en esencia
- of the essence — de fundamental importancia
- Usually the design process involves taking messy reality and isolating its abstract essence.
- The work of both artists is fuelled by a need to communicate the metaphysical essence of our existence.
- Her portrayal of the sexy evangelist Reno Sweeney was outstanding, catching the very essence of this character.
- We cared for our guests because not to do so would betray the most profound essence of our humanity.
- And then sometimes, history is graced by an individual who comes and changes the very essence of humanity.
- The raucous, inscrutable essence of democracy could almost be glimpsed in this maelstrom.
- To me they epitomize the essence of femininity.
- It is obvious that he does not understand the true essence of sport, or human nature.
- The time has come for architecture and planning to reflect the essence of democracy.
- He had grasped the real essence of working class power.
- Indeed, sometimes the real essence of truth is only to be discovered in the narrative form.
- It would succeed in destroying the very essence of what this village is about, its rich countryside heritage.
- The photographer is there to capture the true essence of the wedding day.
- The chief aim of this inquiry has been to shed light on the nature and essence of the disagreement between the two.
- They were also worried that broadcasting the music through microphones would destroy the beauty and essence of the music.
- Such frivolous distinctions do not constitute the essence of religion.
- She says the lack of time which GPs have to treat their patients is destroying the very essence of what it means to be a family doctor.
- Analogies can obfuscate, but in their own way they can distill a matter to its essence.
- They ended up capturing the true essence of the two of them.
- The essence of chemistry is understanding and applying chemical reactions.
1.2(personification)personificación femininehe's the very essence of a diplomat — es la diplomacia personificada
2Cookingvanilla essence/essence of vanilla — esencia de vainilla feminine
- Last week she made a chocolate cake and sloshed a huge quantity of vanilla essence into it straight from the bottle.
- Cream butter and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in a few drops of peppermint essence.
- Put some crushed ice into a food processor and add the guava juice, lime juice, blackcurrant syrup and rum essence.
- Whip the evaporated milk until frothy and then add the jelly, cheese, vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Lightly whip the cream and fold this in, along with the vanilla essence.
- Put one teaspoon of vanilla essence in the yolk and two teaspoons of baking powder into the egg white.
- The secrets to the supple skin and healthy hair found on the islands: native plant and herb essences.
- The Arabs recognized and refined these processes in the early Middle Ages, using them to make elixirs, perfumes, and medicines by extracting the essences from fruits and flowers.
- When choosing natural fragrances and products, look for ones with pure plant essences or essential oils (as listed on the label).
- When cool, mix the gelatine into the mixture slowly with the vanilla essence.
- The addition of two drops of vanilla essence in the glasses masked the flavour of both the beverages.
- Add a few drops of almond essence to taste.
- It includes a variety flavoured with rose essence and sugar.
- Beat the butter, sugar, ground almonds and almond essence together.
- Add vanilla essence and serve in a pancake with chocolate sauce and cream.
- It's also rather delicious when you replace the vanilla essence with peppermint.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.