In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(expert/company) de reconocido prestigio(star) de renombre(reputation) sólidoinflation is now established as a permanent feature of the economy — la inflación se ha convertido en un factor permanentemente presente en la economía
- They offer more hardware and warranty per dollar than do the more established brands.
- It includes work from emerging and more established artists from across Europe.
- As a firmly established principle of Community law it may be used to challenge Community action and also State action.
- Why this was not an already established practice is a mystery to critics.
- Great store was placed on the retention of previously established practices and it was deliberate policy to foster traditional loyalties.
- Other, more established artists who get marginalized at larger conventions got the star attention they deserve.
- Free trade, like free love, poses a threat to the established order.
1.2(customary, accepted)(practice) establecidoa long-established tradition — una tradición de mucho arraigo
1.3(proven)(fact) comprobadoit is now established beyond all doubt that … — está comprobado / se ha establecido fuera de toda duda que …
- So even setting aside the religious or constitutional objections to an established church and a national religion of any kind, the case for disestablishment on this premise alone is as valid as it was a century ago.
- The disestablishment of the Church is not a radical proposal; an established Church is an anachronism.
- He believed in religious toleration but supported an established church, the Anglican Communion.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.