In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of colony, business) fundación feminine(of regime) instauración feminine(of regime) establecimiento masculine(of position, bridgehead) establecimiento masculine(of committee) creación feminine
- Wahid proposed the establishment of an independent monitoring commission to work toward peace, but was ousted in July 2001.
- Preventing the establishment of a state religion is quite clearly a permissible goal under Locke.
- Does your party support the establishment of a criminal tribunal to investigate and prosecute crimes against humanity in East Timor?
- The Council recommended the establishment of an independent tribunal, plus further rights of appeal.
- On 17 August 1945 they heard a radio message from Jakarta announcing the establishment of the Republic of Indonesia.
- In 1917 the British issued the Balfour Declaration, which advocated the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine.
- Bush also proposed the establishment of a democracy fund within the U.N. in an effort to spread democracy and stability.
- The party also opposes the establishment of a separate Tamil state and the various devolution packages.
- The plan proposes the establishment of a new village centre at The Quay.
- Last week councils welcomed the establishment of the commission.
- Other key pledges include the establishment of crime prevention funds for various neighbourhoods.
- China is advocating the establishment of a free-trade zone encompassing China and ASEAN.
- Cosgrove thanked the previous committee for their work and strongly recommended the establishment of a new committee.
- He advocated the immediate establishment of an ad hoc reform committee.
- Do you support the establishment of a Palestinian state?
1.2(of criteria, relations)establecimiento masculine
2(club, hotel, shop)establecimiento masculinemilitary establishments — instalaciones militares feminine
- It's very nice that your establishment requires their staff to dress up for Halloween.
- There are more than 1.1 million retail establishments across the country, an average of one every three square miles.
- Product mix and how a retail establishment looks play huge roles in attracting customers.
- The waiters and staff of the establishment were clearly not amused.
3.1(people who preserve the accepted order)the Establishment — la clase dirigente
- before noun Establishment attitudes/values — las actitudes/los valores de la clase dirigente
3.2(ruling group)the literary establishment — las figuras consagradas del mundo literario
- the medical establishment — el establishment dentro de la profesión médica
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.